life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Sunday, October 16, 2005

the game of random words

For as long as I can remember, I've written poetry. About a year ago, I was reading a lot of my writings and realized that I tended to write about the same things....i.e. mostly love, nature, and pain. So a friend and I began a game...he would tell me a word and I would have to write a poem about that word, with a time limit of approximately 5-10 minutes. Little did I know how powerful this would be for me as a way to grow in both perception and diversity as a writer. More than a year later, I have again found myself writing of the nuances and idiosyncrasies of random words. After another round of "the game of random words" tonight, here are a couple results.


-Bumblebee-

tiny and frail,
yet fierce as a lioness
tiptoe, toes pointed
then pirouette
gold sequined bodice
and miniature slippers
Mommy’s angel
wearing a pout
the perfect picture
of
innocence.



-Gobstopper-

morning and night
frustration and doubt
the world swirls in chaos
but he sits in contentment
focus renewed
hope reinstilled
believing in miracles
and realizing
layer by layer
as each color fades
and the taste becomes sweeter
his dreams will become
his life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home