life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

the river

Every day, on my way out into the world, I pass across the river. Every day, my eyes are captured by its rolling beauty, and I inhale a small breath of its offering. For the past nine months, I have crossed that river and I have watched its subtle alterations, embracing the inner changes in myself with the changing of the seasons. On my first passage, the river was just beginning to become alive. The waters barely swirled, gently grazing the surrounding miniature boulders. As the days passed, the sun’s reflection on the river brightened, mirroring a golden heat and a world of opportunity. For many months, I passed over the river and it appeared the same, calm and clear and shining with optimism. But eventually the storms came, and the river became fierce and intense, its darkened waters raging against the embankment. Those days, I passed over the river as quickly as I could, fearful of the rage with which it beckoned. But gradually its fury subsided and the view revealed a birth of rich, vibrant life. The waters glistened with newness and each day revealed an ever-changing vision of beautiful chaos. As my journeys have become more frequent, the river has again begun its change. These days, I cross the river and hear its delicate tears falling amidst the overhanging trees. Tears of happiness, tears of relief, tears of regret, and tears of grief. Some days, the river tells of a deep sorrow, its cries becoming louder and more demanding. But most days, like today, it tells of bittersweet memories and fragile hopes.

3 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, Blogger Sky said...

Oh, Tara, this is a beautiful commentary and observation. How much like this river are you?

Your writing is so enchanting. I especially enjoyed this. I know this river, too.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger nrlaumei said...

So soothing...

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger georgiacoast said...

I'm a big fan of your writing. You have an original thought to express every time I turn around, and they never fail to move me in some way....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home