life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

the river's reflection

I feel a sense of contentment tonight. The new semester has just begun and the inevitable deadlines yet to hang over my head. Both my personal and academic reading materials are intriguing. And despite the anxiety that accompanied me to my first real class today, I left the building with a feeling of invigoration that has been buried beneath the recent clouds of a mild depression. Even the unusually warm temperatures could not dim my spirits tonight. Though the fantasies of playing outside on a snowy wintry day continue to fill my dreams, I have succumbed to an acceptance of a southern interpretation of the season.

The change I felt inside today was paralleled by the river’s currents as I passed across it. On my way out into the world this morning, the river’s noisy and unsettled surface mirrored my own painful fears. Through the violent rain, I could feel the river’s uncertainty and was caught in wonder of what lay ahead. But my journey back home found a calmer and more serene river, one offering its soothing waters as proof that the clouds were lifting and the sun would indeed shine again soon.

There is no guarantee of how the river may present itself tomorrow. There is no certainty that the clouds will continue to lift or that the rains will not return with their drenching downpours. But there is possibility and hope. May the river’s waters continue to reflect the contentment I feel tonight.

5 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Blogger georgiacoast said...

I'm glad you find yourself in good spirits today. I hope the contentment you feel tonight continues ceaselessly! It's good to be able to read your posts again....I missed them.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Sky said...

Your use of the river as a metaphor reminds me of the Gestalt therapist, Barry Stevens, and her intriguing book Don't Push the River, It Flows By Itself. It reminds us to live in this moment alone. Hope you (and the river) enjoy whatever Thursday brings. :) x0x0

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Dana said...

I told you! (Magna Summa Cumma Laude WHATEVER it is called! haha)

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I'm so happy that you are feeling serene and hopeful.

Keep on flowing girlfriend :)

 
At 3:12 AM, Blogger V said...

Hang in there.
V

 

Post a Comment

<< Home