life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Sunday, February 12, 2006

a glorious day

After many days of feeling drowned by the pouring rain and my own tears, I have spent today relishing in the simple pleasures of a glorious day. Just as I was leaving the apartment to go pick up my newly bought 5 x 4 foot oil painting (which is such a joy in itself), the snowflakes started to fall. In Georgia, it is hard to differentiate a snow flurry from trash flying wildly in the air, and so it took a few moments before I realized that indeed these were tiny white flakes of the mystery that is called “snow”. I have spent the past several months, wishing and praying to look out the window and find a world bathed in white. And though the world is certainly not white now, I found myself filled with childish excitement and pure bliss as the flakes landed in my hair. So as I drove home, with my enormous painting of naked women being embraced filling the back of my car, and my windshield being pelted by Nature’s sprinkling of miniature pieces of happiness, I literally squealed in delight. One day, and two precious gifts…what a glorious day it has been.

13 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that it was a glorious day for you! The "coming through" (tears, stress, worry...whatever it may be) always give me a new sense of wonder and gratitude for the great Mystery of life. Be well.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Frankie said...

YAY! What a wonderful day of small delights! I'm so glad you had a day of the kind of happiness you so deserve. Thanks so much for sharing it with us! It lifted my spirit and made my heart sing :)

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Yay for you buying art!!! More people should buy art -- it puts bread in artist's bellies, and what is more wonderful than original art in the house? I just bought a piece from Misty-Eyed Art and I can't wait to get it! Thanks for posting on my blog -- being new to this, it's like Christmas to check my site and see new comments! It's like "Santa came!!"

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger daringtowrite said...

Art in the car and on your wall and in the air. What a gleeful day this seems to have been. Thanks for sharing your joy and a glimpse of your tears, too.

 
At 2:18 AM, Blogger meghan said...

Hooray! It's nice to hear that you are able to feel gleeful again! I'm so happy that it was the combination of art and nature that filled you up so much! I hope that you can keep that feeling with you!

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger HoBess said...

Terrific post ... I can hear you squealing! Is your painting up yet? Did the snow last?

Hope today's another great one ...

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

the description of your car ride made me smile:)

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Somnambulist Seeker said...

Definitely a good day. It's truly amazing what simple things wind up having the power to lift our spirits.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Jessie said...

My first reaction to reading your post was: "YAY!!" Then I saw that a couple other people said the same thing and I wanted to be origninal. But alas, I must say it: YAY!!!

I'm so happy for you. Snow in Georgia!! Art in the back seat!! I mean, really, does life get ANY better??

I'm glad you found such a big dose of happiness in the midst of all your hard work. Reading about your day made me smile. :)

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Alex S said...

My favorite thing about snow is how blissfully quiet the earth all around one gets as it falls. I am glad your wish came true and you are getting some flurries there. I didn't even know it snowed in Georgia! And enjoy your new painting! A piece of art you love right in your own home is a healing gift for the soul. P.S. Good luck with mid-terms!

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh this is fantastic! how wonderful that in the midst of a challenging week you found yourself experiencing such joy. This is so good!
I imagine you with the snow in your hair, a smile on your face, and a little hop in your step.

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger TJ said...

I do like the snow, I guess we are spoiled. LOL! Michigan gets plenty so we take it for granted.
Show us your new oil...I bet it is beautiful!!!
Hugs TJ

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I'm so happy you had such a great day! Can we see the painting?

Hope you had a fun Valentine's Day!

I hope we get snow soon too :)

Love,
Tammy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home