life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

exploring relationship patterns

As I sat through a three-hour lecture on psychodynamic therapy this morning, my professor posed a series of very personal questions. He did not ask us to discuss our answers in class or even to consider this as a mandatory assignment. Rather, he suggested that we each go home and truly ponder these questions. He advised that we answer them in order that we may continue to learn more about ourselves and our interactions with those around us. He postulated that we will begin to notice patterns in our past relationships that will lead us to more completely understand our own relationships today. It is an interesting assignment, and a journey upon which I look forward to embarking upon. I wonder if any of you might want to take this journey for yourselves as well.

For each person(s), ask yourselves the following questions. What was the quality of the relationship? How did you relate to one another? How did the relationship begin? What kinds of problems were encountered in the relationship? How were problems dealt with? How did the relationship end?

Begin by exploring your early relationship with your parents. Then proceed to the relationship with your first romantic partner. Continue with each successive romantic relationship. Lastly, examine your relationships with friends throughout the years. When you have answered the questions, look for patterns that have emerged throughout your relationships. Do the patterns differ in the ways you have related to men versus women? Do the patterns differ from family to friends to romantic partners? How do you think these patterns are playing out in your current relationships?

For those of you that choose to embark upon this journey as well, I hope that you will find greater insight into your own being. It is only through awareness that we may begin to learn and grow.

(*I do not take credit for these questions. However, I am not listing the professor’s name who posed these questions for purposes of confidentiality.*)

9 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Sky said...

This will be a very interesting study, and I look forward to doing it. Thanks. :)

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I'm going to give this a try. I have had a few horrid relationships that were life altering. I have always wanted to be a counselor and my analytical personality would have been an asset.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger emmapeelDallas said...

I'm here via Tammy and I'm so glad I came! I intend to do this assignment, and it couldn't be more timely! Thanks (and I'll be back).

:)

Judi

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Jessie said...

Oy--this could get interesting--way more interesting than my homework! Thanks for sharing what you're learning! Hmmm, it's kinda scary though isn't it. But I guess it's one of those opportunities for growth when you gotta just plug your nose and jump.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

thank you for the invitation to join you in answering these questions...this will be a great exercise for me.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Frankie said...

This is SO interesting! I love exploring patterns like this, especially as a child of divorce (with a long history of it in my family). I am constantly searching for ways in which my parents divorce has effected me and my relationships. This is really eye opening and I'm very appreciative of you sharing it. Thanks!!

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger meghan said...

WOW, what am amazing challenge! I wish I'd had professors like that when I was in university! It's very scary though. It will make people be really honest. There are one or two relationships in the past that I know will bring up 'stuff!' I guess it's time though - thank you and good luck with your homework!

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger daringtowrite said...

Oh dear, more personal growth! Thanks for sharing the questions. I'm afraid this is going to be a long exercise even though I have done pieces of it before, yet aswering these questions seems like such a good idea.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger daringtowrite said...

PS: I don't suppose it went without notice how I avoided commiting myself, did it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home