life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

roller coaster life

I’ve always thought of life, at least my life, as one big roller coaster. One continuous journey of highs and lows, ups and downs. Not always knowing when the next drop will appear, plummeting me downward with colossal force and tightly-gripped hands. Nor am I always confident on my ascents upward. I tend to loosen my grip only slightly at times, fearful that the next plunge will arrive before I have prepared myself. And then there are those beautiful, mind-reeling loops. Times when I find my world spontaneously turned upside down, sometimes screaming in terror and crying with fear. Other times with my arms up in the air and my hair blowing wildly in the wind.

And so the roller coaster goes.

I used to believe that I was strapped in, the journey being controlled by some force far greater than myself. And perhaps that is still the case. But my reactions, my terror and fear, my pure moments of blissful happiness and excitement…those reactions, those feelings, those are my own. I might not have chosen to embark on this wild ride, but I can choose to enjoy the ride. To sit back, with the sun beaming down on my face and the wind tousling my hair, and just ride the ride.

One of the things I have discovered about myself is that I often hang on too tightly, gripping until my knuckles have become white, my jaws clenched in anticipation. It is during these moments, when I suddenly find myself filled with panic or freefalling onto an unknown path, that I turn expectantly to seek the heights once again. It is during these times that my mind wanders, and my disillusioned fantasies expand to believe that there is a path where no lows exist. A journey where there are no terrifying drops. A ride where I can be surrounded by nothing but the sheer beauty of the clouds. And yet, as times passes, and as I grow, I am learning to embrace the highs and lows, the ups and downs. I am beginning to enjoy the ride.

And so the roller coaster goes.

10 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So very true. It's wonderful to get to a point where you feel you don't have to "white knuckle" everything. Enjoy the ride!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Somnambulist Seeker said...

I once heard it said that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.

It would be great if the rollercoaster ride was more of a luxury passenger train.... :-)

But, in lieu of that eternal hope, you're right - It's up to us to choose to enjoy the ride. Or, as you also said... "just ride the ride".

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Alex S said...

Is there room on the rollercoaster for some bright, comfy cushions and your journal, laptop, and your heart? If so, you'll do just fine I suspect!

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Jessie said...

Today I was talking to a friend about how grad school and losing your grip is just part of the "learning curve"...which I very vividly imagined myself flying off of.

oh, the amusement parks of the mind are such INTERESTING places!
:)-

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger meghan said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are experiencing the highs as well - and that you are looking for them! I hope that things around you calm down enough for you to be able to let go just a little and relax.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Frankie said...

This is wonderful! I love the idea of the roller coaster of life. It's so very true and profound. Things do always seem to work that way, those highs and lows, those loops around. I'm so glad that you're embracing it and enjoying the ride. You're life is an amazing thrill indeed.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Laini Taylor said...

I like your attitude about "choosing" to enjoy the ride -- as far as we are possibly in control of our attitudes. To meet risks with an open heart and as much joy as possible, to be filled with awe at all the things life shows you every day, ups and downs, I think it has a huge effect on the actual "course" of the roller coaster track!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger meghan said...

Hi again,

I just got your comment on my blog - OF COURSE!! I'm at meg @ randomlychallenged.com (without the spaces!) Looking forward to hearing from you! hope you are well xoxo

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger GoGo said...

Don't forget about those twists and turns.

Thanks for reminder to loosen the grip.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

Beautiful. I love the way you write my dear, just love it. The way you take an idea and let it blossom. Learning to enjoy the ride. So good. Thank you for this reminder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home