life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Thursday, March 02, 2006

inspiration can be found...anywhere

Inspiration can be found anywhere, if only you allow yourself to find it.

As a small girl, I found inspiration amidst the solitude of my pink bedroom. With the door shut and locked, my imagination ran free, through fields of yellow and white wildflowers and into the open arms of a beautiful dark-haired man who would one day be my husband. I found inspiration as I built a cardboard box house with painted curtains for my beloved black and white kitten. I found inspiration in the stacks of paperback books carefully arranged along the bedside table and dark carpet. Inside my world, and inside my head, I found inspiration.

As a teenager, I found inspiration among my disappointments and shattered innocence. Through altered states of consciousness and in the lyrical voice of Bob Dylan, I found inspiration. Gazing intensely under black lights at the florescent lizards on a Jim Morrison poster, I found inspiration, and dark poetry flowed freely from my pen and lips. As I read the story of Holden Caulfield’s life and feared that I might one day be emblazoned by a scarlet letter of my own, I found inspiration. Inside my confusion, and inside my blindness, I found inspiration.

As an adult, I have found inspiration in life’s emblematic shadows and rays of sunlight. Four years ago, I played my antique piano by candlelight and wrote letters of regret in the early morning hours. As words of sorrow and shame graced the page, so was I graced by inspiration. Three years ago, my office was filled with children’s books and play-doh. Through the tight morning hugs of a four year old boy and the heart-wrenching tales of a fourteen year old girl’s attempted suicide, I found inspiration. Two years ago, I lit patchouli candles and sang along with the ballads of Sarah McLaughlin, finding inspiration as I sorted through the heartbreak of a failed marriage and the end of my carefree youth. Last year, I flipped my life upside down and inside out, exploring the depths of myself and the potentials of my life. As I found the courage to embrace my dreams, I found inspiration. And now, here I am, still walking through this world of broken hearts and momentous fears, and yet I am finding inspiration. In the beauty of the river’s changing currents and the majestic heights of smoky mountains, I am finding inspiration. In the words of feminist scholars and romantic poets, through the creativity of world-renowned artists and the talented brilliance of new-found friends, I am finding inspiration. As I shop for used treasures of another person’s life, as I inhale the breathless honesty of my own hidden past…as I watch a man dancing with abandon in the open air of this world, as I let my own spirit dance with the changing melodies…I am finding inspiration.

Inspiration can be found anywhere, if only you allow yourself to find it.

11 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Blogger Jessie said...

i find inspiration here as well. you make me want to sit down with my journal right now and record the many ways i've found inspiration and the changes that have occured along the way.

you remind me of a prism--with so many colors reflecting in the light.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger V J.D. said...

The fun thing about inspiration is that you never know when it's going to come. I've recently been inspired to help poor children get crayon sharpeners.


Keep up the good work.

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger meghan said...

this was a great post! I really loved that you admitted to the inspiration found in your youth. It's so easy to look back at who we were in our teens and shake our heads at ourselves. I love that you embraced those times as honest and true. I'll look for it today, I promise!!!

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger V said...

Hugs,
V

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Somnambulist Seeker said...

This is so absolutely true.

Anywhere.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I'm speechless! Your writing is pure music in my ears. You also inspired me to remember my own inspirations. I feel an entry in my future. lol

I'm so glad I found such an awesome woman to get to know!

XXOO

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger GoGo said...

Thanks for the reminder about inspiration!

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Alex S said...

Reading your first paragraph I was reminded of a memory I had long forgotten of sitting in my bedroom window with my journal and imagining my view- which was really a nondescript sideyard- was something much more dramatic and important- and cardboard boxes! I use to make forts with those in our backyard. You are right of course- that inspiration is always there to pluck. Lately I have not exactly been feeling inspired, but then again, thats because I've just been forgetting that our dark and difficult days too can be sources of inspiration. Remembering this right here and now is a blessing- thank you!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger HoBess said...

It takes such strength to turn dark times into inspirational moments. Thanks for the reminder that we shouldn't hide from the darkness, we should learn from it.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger MissManda said...

your a wonderful writer.





thanks for the post

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Dana said...

This is one of my favorite posts yet!

xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home