life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Monday, November 27, 2006

prisoner of insomnia

All day my feet trudge heavy across cement walkways, exhaustion bearing down upon my shoulders. I long for sleep, for the comfort of my bed, for a few precious hours to escape the chaos of daily life and get lost in dreams of snow-covered mountains and nights sitting fireside with a good book and red wine. I catch sight of myself in a mirror and the dark circles beneath my eyes glare back at me, begging for sleep, for rest, for peace. But as the day continues, as the sun sets and the darkness settles in, sleep becomes a long-lost friend whom I cannot seem to find. Perhaps it is the quiet of the night, the silence that surrounds me, bringing momentary glimpses of tomorrow. Perhaps it is the only time that I can justifiably allow myself to put away the textbooks, to forget the reports, to let go of the worries that daylight brings. Or perhaps it is a rising fear or loneliness or the endless spinning cycles of my thoughts. Whatever it is, when night falls and the sky becomes an ebony blanket, my body refuses to rest. My mind refuses to surrender to the serenity of sleep. And I am left here alone with too many thoughts, too many worries, and the knowledge that yet another day will greet me before I am ready to awaken.

9 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger Jessie said...

too much stress has a way of turning even the good stuff (like sleep!) kiddywhompers. i wish i could come over and take care of you for an evening. it would include: a hot bubble bath, a glass of wine, followed by a sleepy snack, a mug of chamomile tea, and some soft music...oh yeah, and the crackle of a fire. then i'd send you off to bed...maybe i'd even read you a bedtime story...and afterwards i'd quietly be near so that you'd know that you're not alone.

love you, sweet tara. maybe you can do these things for yourself and just pretend i'm there?

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger BendingPeak said...

I too struggle with insomnia, it is the worst!
I hope that peaceful sleep finds you soon.

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry.... I wish there was something I could do. I'm sending "sleepy time" thoughts to you, my sweet and wonderful friend.

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Sky said...

it is 18 degrees here right now, and the ground, covered in white peaks, is frozen solid. my sweet hubby and i are both sick with colds...so we can't breathe as well as we would like. that always interferes with sleep. so did the power loss last night. it scared me with fantasies of freezing pipes. when it came back on in time to save the night i finally found a few hours of sleepy dreams.

have you had a couple of glasses of wine while reading something wonderful in your library? maybe you can try some hot apple cider with mulling spices...the fragrance is as delightful as the taste! invite a girlfriend over to spend the night. sometimes another body is comforting. wish you were here!

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thinking of you, missing you, excited for your next blog, and anxiously waiting to see your face and give you a big hug.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger GoGo said...

"...sleep becomes a long-lost friend whom I cannot seem to find."

Been there. Hope time evens out this rough spot for you. Good luck.

 
At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey td,
thanks for your comment about ashley, but especially for going to their website and encouraging them directly. I added two links in my post.... one shows a video they posted from Nov 26 and the other shows the video from yesterday. I thought you might not realize they were there since I just now edited the post.... the videos really make her more real.
love you so much,
caliss

p.s. And I'm writing this here instead of emailing you so that if any of your readers see this, maybe they'll be able to send support too.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Mayhem And Miracles said...

Tara Dawn,

I just wanted to thank you for the sweet comment you left on my blog. I have just spent a little while reading some of your blog, now that I have discovered it. You are a fantastic writer and you have a beautiful heart. Thank you for reaching out to me. It meant a lot. God bless you - you will be in my prayers, my new blogging friend.

 
At 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sweetheart - Hello!! I'm back in blog-land and I missed you so much, I am thinking about you and will write you soon - please know that I am sending you peaceful thoughts right this minute for some rest.

xoox

 

Post a Comment

<< Home