life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

carried by mountain memories...and missing you all bunches

It’s cold outside, barely above freezing temperatures, and I am loving the unseasonable chill in the air. Memories of cold mountain air and dancing autumn leaves are carrying me through the days. After a delicious weekend in the Blue Ridge mountains, I returned to the “real world” with a newfound sense of aliveness. Even ten hour work days followed by long nights of studying cannot ruin the vitality I experienced hiking through hills covered in falling leaves. Standing on the path, the leaves pirouetting about my head, the rush of colors overtaking my senses, I was filled with life. Moments when the black and white and gray of daily life was overwhelmed by blood red and punchy melon and yellow, gold, ember leaves swirling and leaping and tumbling in ecstasy. Moments when the icy air was awakening rather than biting, the view of blue mountain tops gracing my horizon bringing solace to a withered spirit.
And this afternoon, sitting fireside, feeling the warmth of the flames heat my skin, I cannot help but think of the goodness in this life. The simple things that bring such pleasure. Once again, I am reminded that I must allow myself these tiny pleasures. I must stop getting lost in the maze of obligations and revel in these days when I find myself surrounded by beauty and in awe of the moments. So while I should be studying now, I am taking a break to rest, to rejuvenate, to remind myself that life’s little beauties are all around me.

(Another reminder…I wish I had more time these days to come here and let the words flow, to release the feelings, to bring my presence to this wonderful circle of beautiful women whom I cherish so deeply…please know that despite my absence, you are all in my heart every day and I am sending lots of love to you all:)

6 Comments:

At 1:05 AM, Blogger Sky said...

i love the blue ridge mts.! glad you had a great stress reduction weekend!

sounds cold there. it is in the low 40s here at night and the high 50s/low 60s during the day. just peferct for me. but the rains are coming soon! ;)

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

You write beautifully of your time in the mtns. Sounds like you needed the break.

Big CA hugs
xxoo

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Jessie said...

I am thinking of you often, too. And your writing is delicious. There is a richness to it that fills me up and makes me feel a healthy sense of satisfied. I think we can sometimes forget how incredible nature is and the healing effects that it has on people. I read an interesting article about kids who do not spend enough time in nature and the negative effects it has on them...just goes to show that we need a regular dose of weekends in the mountains! ;)

Love you, dear. I miss you.
j.

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like you and all the words you say. Know that you are missed when the posts are further apart... but I hope life continues to treat you well.

My roommate went to the Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah last weekend, but I missed out.... once I saw her pictures, I completely regretted not going. One of the most peaceful and beautiful places I've ever seen. I can only imagine its serenity in real life.

RTH

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger boho girl said...

you take me away every time i come here.

you have such a gift my dear. you paint lovely images in my mind and soul.

xo,
boho

 
At 4:27 AM, Blogger vij said...

You are the best writer i have ever seen in my life, plz continue writing the blog again. you have such a lovely gift of writing from god. so plz share with us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home