life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Saturday, November 11, 2006

taking chances or living with regret

Life is all about taking chances. That leap of faith into the unknown. It terrifies us all, but where will we ever go in life if we don’t take a chance. The hardest part is finding a balance, knowing when to take the chance and when to take a step back. Knowing when to keep pushing forward in persistence versus when to just let go. It’s a balance of head and heart, of thoughts and feelings, of doing what’s “right” or doing what you “want/need” to do. It’s about not taking a chance and living with the regret that you’ll never know what might have been. Or taking the chance, risking it all, truly living life, and then accepting the often difficult path where that chance may lead.

When I look back on my own life, I see many choices that some may say were poor decisions. I do not regret a single one of those decisions. They have all taught me lessons, guided me along this journey to where I now stand. And without making those choices, without taking those chances, my life would be consumed by too many “what if’s”. The only regrets I have are the times I didn’t take a chance, the times I felt something and turned my back on those feelings, the times I fought all instinct and never took that leap of faith. It is those times, and those times only, that I regret.

Can you live with the knowledge that you have taken a chance, regardless of its consequences? Or can you live the rest of your life wondering “what if”? Can you live without taking that chance?

19 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, tara dawn, i SOOOO needed to read this today. thank you. :)

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I read this blogg of yours and the only thought I got was "Danm you're so right". I felt really down this morning for a couple of reasons but thanks to you I've realised that even if I do feel down I dont need to live with a "what if".
I know I would have if I wouldn't have chosed the path I did. Now I just need to pull myself together and not be afraid to take another chance. Because "what if"'s is deffinatly worse then the knock down we get by sometimes taking chances.

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you tara i really needed that today and so did alot of my friends

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Tony said...

I have finally reached the "taking a chance" part of my life at 38 y/o. I am very successful, but not fulfilled. Reading about others that had the same fears that I am experiencing just propels me to want to take that great leap. Thanks for the article.

 
At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am ready to take the risk, the chance...but what?

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are absolutely right, Tara. This is my own motto. Now I am going thru some difficult times for some decisions I made, but I have learned a lot about relationships and the best way to respect yourself instead of letting someone walk over you. Your words have inspired me. May God bless you.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You know maybe life is about taking chances, but it is also about taking risks.Major risks can result from taking chances. As for me i dont mind taking chances everyday, but what if its affected the people who love the most.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Tara, I went searching for a saying about life and taking chances that I heard many years ago and found your blog regarding "taking chances or living with regret," which you posted almost three years ago. How profound!

Thank you for posting it. I hope your life is going well and you are still taking chances.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

hey i randomly search on google how to take chances. and this came up. I'm a guy and i'm glad i read this, because i've made too many what ifs. it's time to make it happen.

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was the first post I saw after seaching for "taking chances in life." It was perfect. Thank you for posting it and I'm glad it was still there after four years.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Tara..thank you for sharing your thoughts...Very well said...I did what I had to do..so no regret...and today I came across what you have written...Yea life as i know it..Stay well...zorana.xxx

 
At 4:47 AM, Anonymous VijKash said...

Thanks for sharing this thought....this is simply brilliant

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger vij said...

Very nice thought.. i dont know how to thank you for sharing this thought with all of us

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger vij said...

Very nice thought.. i dont know how to thank you for sharing this thought with all of us

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger vij said...

Very nice thought.. i dont know how to thank you for sharing this thought with all of us

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so true...I have experienced this and I am happy that i don't have many 'what if's' in my life! Life is worth taking chances...!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is great. This is what I needed to hear. Thanks for sharing it, you made my day! :)

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful <3
You're so right
My Ex boyfriend broke up with me and i fighted for him but he changed and didn't care about me or our relationship. But I really tried it and I don't ever have to wonder what could have happened...
Thanks (:

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life demands taking decisions having elements of risk in it sometimes. But as u said, the main problem is to decide when to move forward or when to step backwards a little..
But, really a nice blog.. Truely apt to invoke a spark, an ignition..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home