life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Saturday, September 16, 2006

a day of solitude

It’s been a beloved day of solitude, the quiet of nature soothing my senses. Waking up cocooned in a mass of thick red corduroy, the feel of thin smooth black sheets gingerly touching my skin, I let the day begin unfolding at its own pace. No rush to get to school or work, no hurried shower or ringing of the phone. No TV blaring football, no radio hits of the 80’s urging me to get up and dance, just the silence of sleepiness and an inner peace I am just coming to know.

The sun has been shining since long before I awoke, its rays beaming down a gentle warmth uncommon to a September afternoon in Georgia. The breeze is faint, but visible as the emerald leaves wave ever so slightly from their perch upon the winding braches that snake across the skyline. I’ve spent the afternoon in the company of a good book and my thoughts, a quiet blissfulness growing steadily with the fading daylight.

It seems impossible to describe in words, these newfound feelings of contentment. There’s an element of excitement huddled in the background, but it’s a feeling of excitement different from what I’ve come to know over the years. There is no eager anticipation of some specified event, no hopes of thrills to come in the form of some particular adventure or experience. It’s just a calm, somewhat subdued, feeling of excitement in general. An excitement for each day, each moment, the newness and vibrancy I am unexpectedly finding in the world around me.

But it is not just the feel of lurking eagerness; it is a feeling of solace enveloping me in the quiet moments. It is an awareness of my existence as I breathe in the refreshing air encircling me. A comfort that leaves me feeling fulfilled and dare I say it….happy.

8 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a beautiful post, as always...so glad you are having beautiful days again -- you deserve them!

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger meghan said...

YAY!! Whooopppppeeeeee!!!!! Yippee Yahoo!!

I am so thrilled to hear your words today. You so deserve happiness and tranquility and peace -

Sending you all of the hugs and love in the world!!

 
At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed a most blissful day of solitude. May there be many more to come. be well.

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just reading your words is refreshing to my senses, so I'm sure the actual experience is even better... I'm glad to hear you're feeling such underlying peace and contentment right now. Those are good times.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger TJ said...

Oh Tara, that is such a touching post. Almost reads like a second after the climax...that peace and so into the moment is a great place to be. Happiness is a gift isn't it.
Love TJ

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Alex S said...

Those are moments of true peace, the ones that are just there for their own sake and not in anticipation of anything around the next sunrise. I want more of those myself. I've been thinking lately about how I can give more of such moments of tranqility to myself but for some reason hold them back and fill up the moments instead too often with business, tv, endless distractions. May you have many more such days like the one you have described here!

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Jessie said...

i feel enveloped in the warm colors of autumn just reading this. oh, and a day of peace and books and calm excitement underlying it all...what a perfect day. i'm so happy that you've found this space of mind, tara dawn. when you write like this, sometimes i wish i could live in your words...such a beautiful day.

hugs. :)
j.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger HoBess said...

enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home