life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Monday, October 09, 2006

reminding myself

Sometimes life moves too fast. We get caught up in the whirlwind of productivity and the necessary “to-do’s” and we end up lost somewhere in the process. We forget to stop and revel in the beauty of a painted sky. We catch only the momentary glimpse of emerald leaves turning crimson and gold. We stop feeling the rush of air against our skin and hurry through the day, our shoulders heavy with obligations and responsibilities.

And then somewhere down the path, we are reminded. We are reminded of all that lies before us, the world as our canvas. We are reminded that the essence of our lives is not about meeting deadlines or reaching goals; it is about living our lives, fully breathing in the beauty of the moments. And yet how often do these reminders bypass our streamlined vision and leave us standing on the edge, wondering what happened to the truly memorable moments of life.

I’ve been needing a reminder these past few weeks. Needing a reminder that my life is not all about memorizing the anatomy of the brain or writing reports and treatment recommendations for my patients. I’ve been needing a reminder to step back and breathe, to feel the rush of air against my skin, to succumb to the laughter that leaves me doubled over on the floor. I’ve been needing a reminder to just live.

So today, I’m reminding myself of the obligations and responsibilities…the ones that lie within me rather than the ones I owe to the world. The ones to nurture my soul, to embrace my spirit, to let the passion in my heart burst forth into each moment. I am reminding myself today what it feels like to stop worrying for a moment, to let the stress fade to the background, and to just BE.

5 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it goes without saying that i identify with this post. :)
so glad you are taking some time for yourself...just try to remember that the world won't fall apart if something doesn't get done. hugs to you, tara! i am so glad you're on this journey with me...

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Jessie said...

it is good to read your words again. in between posts, i always miss you. but i'm glad that you are remembering to slow down and appreciate the good things in life.
love you!

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Yeah! You go girl! ENJOY life it can be short!!! XXOO

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger meghan said...

beautiful. I'm so pround of you - hope you kept it up all week :)

xo

 
At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So today, I’m reminding myself of the obligations and responsibilities... the ones that lie within me rather than the ones I owe to the world."

You have NO idea how much my heart needed to hear those words. I read this post back when you first wrote it and I wasn't ready for it... I wasn't in a place to receive it, I guess. But then today I happened to read it again and wow, here I am. I just made the decision this weekend to withdraw from a class that was largely contributing to a crisis level of depression within me... it was a HARD decision, but your quote said it all.... my obligations to others and to school were quickly taking away my obligation to my own LIFE. And thanks to the support and hope of my therapist, she reminded me that school is not worth that... that she was here for me as long as I continued to LIVE. So now starts the last 10 weeks of my semester... with only two classes to focus on and much more TIME to nurture myself and get my sanity back. I'm tired of being sad and I think it's time to try to find my joy again. So the work of my heart continues.... with a break from the weight of meeting a clinical hour requirement that is not in my capacity right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home