life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Thursday, August 30, 2007

update on plans, wishes, and contemplations

It is officially my last week of summer. My free time is rapidly evaporating and by this time next week I will have already immersed myself back into school and my new patients in the mountains. In an attempt to become more aware of how well I follow through with my plans, wishes, and contemplations (and where my devotion tends to lie), I am returning to my previous post…

Plans ~

My plans began on a Saturday morning, the sun barely risen and a short drive to a small town northwest of the city. With the morning paper, a large dose of caffeine, and the sight of my boyfriend’s cute tush in his baseball pants, I settled happily into the stands. Though the heat was horrendous, it was quite an enjoyable day. The sun was high by mid-morning, our group of feisty blondes resorting to sunglasses, sunscreen, and hair pulled carelessly atop our heads. But the heat was no match for our enthusiasm and devotion to our men. We cheered them on through the morning game before seeking an air-conditioned haven for lunch. Between our cheering, we cherished our time of “girl talk”. From marriage and babies to work and sleep deprivation, we exchanged stories about our hopes for our futures. Despite having little in common with the two younger blondes on either side of me, it was a time of fun and laughter and it left me with a greater appreciation for my beloved boyfriend (who apparently is one of very few men that willingly cleans and cooks). It was nightfall before their last game and once again, our spirits soared with pride as we watched our boys win the final championship game. With a late-night dinner, we celebrated the day and then parted ways for much needed showers and sleep.

I had my date with Robin the following Tuesday night. We enjoyed a casual dinner of wine and light dishes of salad, fresh veggies, warm pita, and hummus. As always, our conversation ran the spectrum from excited anticipations to fears, blissful moments of happiness to disappointed sorrows. It was an evening of comfort, a reminder of the true blessing of our friendship. A blessing for which I thank God each day.

My birthday was a fabulous celebration to mark the beginning of a new year. In the spirit of embracing change (i.e. my old-er age), I had seven inches of my hair cut off. I then spent the afternoon lounging by the pool, enjoying my company with the sun and one of Sabrina Ward Harrison’s lovely books. It was a day to feel loved, and the love I felt was vast and filling, warming my heart as deeply as the sun warmed my skin. The evening commenced with a delicious dinner complete with dear friends, delectable food (yes, I had my favorite hummus and sun-dried tomato with broccoli pasta), and a refreshing glass of pinot grigio. By midnight, I was happily tucked into bed, content and thankful for the beauty of the day.

On Thursday we celebrated a monumental birthday with the boyfriend’s mama. Out on the farm, I could feel the internal tensions gradually release (as they always do there). Lots of pup kisses from their six dogs and the sweet affection of his parents. We enjoyed a simple supper while watching little league baseball on the TV, followed by birthday cake and the exchange of gifts. I was reminded of the dear connection I have with his mama and of how well she truly knows me. A new leather-bound journal, boyshort pj’s, and apothecary bottled incense…she is a kindred spirit indeed.

On Friday, the boyfriend and I departed for the mountains of North Georgia. The weekend was brief, not as much time as we would have liked, but the moments were priceless. Our tiny chalet was nestled into the woods, more akin to a rustic treehouse. Though it was a bit cramped with both the pups, the natural charm lulled us to a peaceful sleep. Awakening to the sight of surrounding mountains, we spent Saturday exploring local art, tasting exquisite wines, and playing in waterfalls across the North Carolina border. Reluctant to leave on Sunday, we packed the car, knowing that it will not be long before we return to this haven of Nature.

Tomorrow we will embark on our last adventure of the summer. After a long work shift, it will be a long late-night drive to the southern shores. But no doubt the drive and exhaustion will be well worth the weekend. With nearly all of the family together (a rare occurrence these days), our afternoons will be spent on the beach and our nights enjoying good food and the company of my dear family. The perfect celebration for the end of summer.

Wishes ~

According to my previous list, I have not made as much progress in pursuing my “wishes”. I’d like to believe that this is simply because my “plans” unexpectedly transformed into fulfilled wishes (which is indeed true). However, it is also a reminder that I must devote as much time to those things that fill my soul as I do with those on my “to-do” list. Or perhaps I should just start listing my “wishes” as part of my “to-do” list. Hmm…definitely a thought to consider.

I have indulged myself, to some degree, beyond the birthday celebrations and weekend adventures. I wrote more letters to my precious far-away friends and even managed to mail them in a timely fashion (this time). I read not just two of Sabrina Ward Harrison’s books, but three of them…and they are simply divine! I went to church again. I started a new journal, though it is only words for this one. And the boyfriend and I will most likely enjoy several games of ping-pong this weekend at my parent’s house.

So that leaves me with a few things I’d like to do today during my free time between laundry and packing. I’ll order the pictures for the house. I’ll pull out my jewelry supply box and make at least one fun piece of jewelry to take home to my mama. If my bank account will allow it, I might even pay a visit to the art supply store. The photography date will have to wait for now, as will the visit with my best friend and her baby daughter. But I just might find the time to start a small piece of art for my beloved aunt Sky.

Contemplations ~

So much for the contemplations. Although I did get my hair cut and I am now in the possession of contacts (though I cannot get those damn things in my eyes for the life of me), the rest of my contemplations have seen no fruition. I did get a fabulous new pair of red glasses, which I think should count for something…yes? I have not given a second thought to my dissertation or started any form of yoga. Nor have I made any effort to sort through my closet for Goodwill donations.

BUT…I have enjoyed the past couple of weeks. I have read good books, written letters, celebrated a great birthday, visited the mountains, and above all, experienced an amazing sense of love all around me.

So, the rest will come (or not). The love I have felt is greater than all the plans or wishes or contemplations I could ever have. That love is definitely the greatest feeling in the world!

2 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Sky said...

oohh goodie! please DO fit me into that schedule!

saw some amazing landscapes yesterday of which i will send you photos soon. nature's gifts are the most magical and mysterious - so lucky we are!

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger BendingPeak said...

Sounds like an amazing holiday.
Good luck with school this year. I hope your new site is everything you hope it to be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home