life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Sunday Scribblings - Real Life

Most of my life, “real life” has been muddled with fantasies and disillusions.

As a child, I was caught in an inner world of tormenting thoughts and rituals, believing that I must perform certain practices in order to ward off the tragedy I believed would befall my family. “Real life” meant endless counting and arranging and washing. It meant being teased by my peers and misunderstood by my parents. At the age of seven, “real life” was comprised by being fondled by a male student and then having my allegations negated by my teachers. “Real life” was consumed with fear and anxiety and an underlying sense of isolation. “Real life” meant finding my only solace through the “pretend” scenarios I played out alone within the confines of my bedroom walls. In order to avoid the fear and anxiety, fantasy became my primary way of coping with “real life”.

As a teenager, “real life” was a culmination of desperate attempts at self-annihilation. With my “pretend” scenarios no longer relieving the pain, I sought to merge my fantasy life with reality. I attempted to create a reality that would grant me escape from the anguish within. And yet my disillusioned attempts resulted only in a “real life” that scarred my body with self-inflicted wounds and scarred my heart with misguided efforts to obtain the love of multiple boyfriends.

As a college student, “real life” was a chance to start anew. It was an era of indulging my carefree youth. Surrounded by friends and sorority sisters and an endless stream of dates, “real life” finally appeared to be an approximation of my previous fantasies. And yet it was a “real life” that I created through hopes and dreams and words. In actuality, “real life” was simply a growth of fantasy, a persistence in merging my worlds of fantasy and reality.

As a young adult, I have finally began to experience a “real life” that does not necessitate a separation of good from bad, of fantasy from reality. “Real life” has been working 60 hour weeks and still finding time to relax by the pool. It has been the heartbreak of a failed marriage and the beginning of truly coming to know myself. It has been the formation of my identity and the acknowledgement of my past. “Real life” is pursuing my dreams, nourishing my relationships, and learning to soothe myself in the moments when pain is inevitable. “Real life” is still believing in soul mates, and yet realizing that true love cannot be forced or created or manifested through my imagination. It is the inner strength to overcome obstacles, to take risks, to challenge myself, and to embrace the cycle of life. “Real life” is real and authentic, frightening and exuberant, hopeful and heartbreaking.

“Real life” is waking up to see the world once tinged in hues of gray at last painted in vibrant colors. “Real life” is loving and living and learning, each day bringing another step along the path of growth.

**I hesitated many times before writing this post, knowing that I could go in many varied directions with this topic. However, I chose to write this, as a way to continue the growth that I have finally been able to begin in my current “real life”. Though it is difficult to write about some of this information and send it out into the world, I also needed to do this. I want you all to know a little more about me, about the past I have lived, and how it has led me to become the person I am today. Of course, this post does not even come close to telling the story of my life, but it is a window, and a window that I am finally willing to open.**

14 Comments:

At 5:07 AM, Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

I am touched that I got to read about your real life....I have felt this vulnerable many times too when writing some posts. I will admit there have been times when I have been too raw to post it, but the process of writing it with the world as my audience has somehow given me a different uderstanding of myself. A real valuable, enlightened understanding and acceptance. I hope this has been true for you as well.

You are tender and loving...so glad you are being those things for your self.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Annie Z said...

Such an open and real post, Tara. I can appreciate that is was difficult for you to write. It was amazing to see the evolution of your growth and wonderful to read where you are now in your journey. Your defintions of real life were really good!
JTL
xxx

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Jennifer S. said...

I am amazed at your growth and wisdom in such a short period of time. Thank you so much for sharing.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Somnambulist Seeker said...

Thanks for your willingness to share such difficult things. I, too, hestiate at times when deciding how far to go in spilling my guts in blog-land. It's a delicate balance at times.

It helps "us all" to see the path that others have walked, and how they have nevertheless survived, grown, and even thrived.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger meghan said...

hello my friend,

I am honoured that you chose to share this post. You are brave and remarkable. It honours all of the yous that you were before to speak about them like this. All of those real lives made this real life and the amazing YOU that is now possible. You are an amazing woman. I hear you!
sending love xoxo

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Wow! Tara you have grown so much and I'm so very proud of you! You have begun to let go. You are more courageous than you realize.
Awesome!

Love,
me

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Jessie said...

One of the things that I like most about you is your willingness to look at life, fully, from every angle. You are endlessly complex--and this is one of the things that makes you so interesting.

The majority of my childhood was also spent in fantasy worlds. There were entire worlds in the back of my closet, under the bridge, behind the rocking chair, under the branches of those two pine trees.... dang, we should've grown up in the same neighborhood. Who knows what kind of fun we might have had! Then again, I'm glad to have met you as an adult, too.

Thanks for opening the window to your world.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger HoBess said...

Your willingness to look your pain in the eye and say "I don't want to live with you anymore" is so amazing to me. It took such courage and muscle to open this window. Hugs for you as you drink in those new vibrant colors!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger GoGo said...

I'm still trying to form the words in my head to hand. I feel very connected to your post, and your candid truth to real life wells up in my heart.

Your words inspire me. Thank you.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Belle said...

You are real. You give a sense of your thoughtfulness in your posts.

Enjoyable blog.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm. that's a soft hmmm sound, not a hmmm question. thank you for sharing some of your history for this theme. i've been doing some reflecting this week (i tend to go through cycles) and appreciate the choice you made to be here with the people reading, and with your self. sometimes that isn't difficult and sometimes it is.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I'm new to blogging and I find it very difficult to open up about my real life. As I mentioned in a post, I'm always testing the waters with my toes, never jumping in. Your honesty is refreshing and very inspiring. Thank you for such a heartfelt post.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Dana said...

This is absolutely beautiful. I love when others can see the wonderful and intricate sides of you that I am so blessed to know.

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seriously, you mentioned in two of my comments the possibility of sharing emails. Could we? I have much more I want to say, but don't want to do it on your comments page. I'm reading back through your archives... your story is helping me so much through my own. It's like I want to print all of these out and carry them with me through my days.... to give me hope and show me new ways to think.

Will you get this comment? I don't even know. I hope so. If you do and decide to maybe write, my email is marycalissa at yahoo dot com.

Tara, you're awesome... you have come so far... your journey inspires me... where you're going and where you've been... how you connect your past to your present and look forward to your future.

love, calissa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home