life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sunday Scribblings - Mystery

Life is filled with mysteries. The future holds nothing but mystery. Even that which we think we know, that which we anticipate and hope for, is nothing more than the merging of our desires with the reality of mystery. The present is mysterious. This very moment, there is so much we do not understand, so much that we cannot understand. And the past…some may argue that the past is the only certainty we have. But I think the past holds the greatest mysteries of all. All the “what ifs” and “what might have beens” leave us stranded on abruptly ended paths, wondering where this or that path might have eventually led. And we will never know. The past has departed, replaced by the present, anticipating the future. But the mysteries of the past will never die.

Every time we take a walk through the memories of our past, we encounter the mysteries of our lives. Each moment of the past has already been lived, each one unalterable and undeniable. And yet do we not wonder? Do we not, at times, find ourselves retracing steps of previous paths and wondering where that path might have led? The endings of those paths will never be known. We can wonder, we can imagine, but we can never know. It is, in fact, this lack of awareness, this inability to know, that is the beauty of mysteries. If we could know the mysteries of our pasts, or our futures for that matter, how would we ever be able to live fulfilled in the present?

I once sat down and tried to imagine the mysteries of my abruptly ended paths. I even wrote what I imagined to be those endings, or perhaps beginnings. Of course my words were nothing more than the manifestation of my imagination. They were not words of truth or understanding. They were merely words of curiosity. But those words helped me to accept the mysteries of my past. I still wonder sometimes what my life would be like now had I decided to continue with this or that relationship, had I chosen to attend a different school at a different time, had I moved to California as once planned. But despite the wondering, despite the mysteries of my past, I know that I am right where I am supposed to be on the path of my life. There will be many more questions, many more unknowns, and many more mysteries.

Mysteries make for a life of unknown possibilities.

12 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger Susannah Conway said...

a very thoughtful post, love. "If we could know the mysteries of our pasts, or our futures for that matter, how would we ever be able to live fulfilled in the present? " - how very true
hugs to you
sx

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

The line that resonated so much for me was your last..."Mysteries make for a life of unknown possibilities". Yes...you are onto something here!

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post. Thank you so much for this today. Yet it is the unknowable that creates such fear in my own heart. I have an addiction to the need to know.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

"The past has departed, replaced by the present, anticipating the future. But the mysteries of the past will never die."

Excellent look at "what if's"

Look forward to chatting,
Love you,
me

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger GoGo said...

In my life right now, I want to explore all the things that could have been different...its hard to let go of the idea that sometimes we have no control and leave the different paths we could have crossed as unsolved mysteries.

Thanks for you words.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

So true!

There will be so many more mysetries and we are just where we are supposed to be-as hard as that is for me at times-I find comfort that it isn't a mystery, but a known.

Hugs

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Kim G. said...

Love your post. How could we really move forward with any sense of wonder, delight or anticipation if we already knew the end of the story. It wouldn't be life then, would it. It would just be reading a story that's already written instead of writing our own.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Jennifer S. said...

one life so full of possibilites...

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This hit me right in my gut...there is such a lovely acceptance in your voice here about the unknownable that inspires me to try to achieve that as well.

 
At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel so fortunate to have found your words. thank you.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Dana said...

Beautiful as always!

xoxo

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger HoBess said...

One of my favorite things is unsolved history ... exploring my own definitely sounds like an exercise to help me with those paths. I especially like imagining the endings as the beginnings ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home