life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Saturday, January 14, 2006

finding my home…reaching a balance

With the skyscrapers of the city rising before me and the rolling hills of suburbia fading behind me, I came to the realization that this is my home. This “melting pot” city of diversity, with its intertwining cultures of nationality and religion and sexual orientation, still holds a place for the typical southerner. Granted, I would never describe myself as “typical”, whatever it is that actually means. But I am certainly a Southerner and I have found a home for myself in this diversified southern city. I often write about the changing beauty of the river that I cross each day on my journeys out into the world. But I never write of the beauty of constancy that I feel each day as I walk between towering buildings of steel and glass. The beauty is not the same, as man cannot compete with Nature’s creations. But it is beauty nevertheless. A beauty of power and stability, of security and imagination. A beauty that has formed from the intricacies of an individual mind and has come to manifest itself as the formulating structure of this city. It is this combination of beauty, the creations of both Nature and man, that continues to pull me inward on a daily basis. With the awareness of the river’s changing from moment to moment, so is the knowledge of the constancy of the architecture’s stagnancy. As I continue to watch the rolling waters of the river, I have become increasingly aware of the solid, rising structures that surround the river. Through the beauty of each, I am beginning to reach a harmonious balance.

5 Comments:

At 2:07 AM, Blogger georgiacoast said...

Better than the boro....Belee dat!

Actually, I've heard you say that you love Atlanta....You have reason to.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger nrlaumei said...

Beautiful. I often waver between similar feelings of awe and a feeling of claustrophobia, of real nature slipping away, in cities of that size. But I appreciate the way you write about it....yes, beautiful.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Dana said...

Yes, you have many many reason to.

Le sigh.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

love this idea of harmony and balance among nature and city.
(thanks for stopping by my blog today...I look forward to reading more of your blog)

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I prefer the country but when I visit San Francisco or Sacramento I love it. The diversity, old buildings and city parks just thrill me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home