life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Sunday, January 15, 2006

TAG - the list of 4's

For months now, I have been saved from the tag. I suppose the irony is that I actually enjoy these types of questions and list-making activities, ones that encourage me to think more about myself and my own likes/dislikes, experiences, etc. And I absolutely love to read those written by others. I find that this is actually a rather good way of getting to know various idiosyncratic information about others. And so, at last, it is my turn. Here we go…

4 jobs you've had in your life:
1. waitress – on multiple occasions (one particular job that stands out in my mind involved wearing a very un-sexy french maid type outfit, with my hair pulled tight in a bun, and serving the rich and sometimes famous a 5 course meal consisting of unpronouncable foods)
2. construction – I spent a couple of months working on rooftops in Kentucky, and actually found that the physical labor of removing old roofs and laying new ones provided a refreshing combination of repetitive mental simplicity and grueling physical catharsis
3. mental health therapist (ranging from working with inmates in a high maximum secuirty prison to children and adolescents on an inpatient psychiatric unit…I absolutely loved this work, and it is what has continued to drive me to my present pursuits of my doctorate in clinical psychology)
4. teacher – or college professor to be more specific (though it has never been a personal aspiration to teach in this traditional fashion, I did find it surprisingly rewarding…and it also helped me to conquer my fear of speaking in front of others:)

4 movies you would watch over and over:
1. A Walk to Remember
2. Silence of the Lambs
3. Mad Love
4. Serendipity
-Ok, I know…I’m a sucker for cheesy chick-flicks (thus the explanation for 1 and 4). As for Mad Love, it holds a deeply rooted connection to my days of adolescence, and a time when my own mental disintegration was rapidly approaching. And as for Silence of the Lambs…read above regarding my psychological work with prison inmates. The world of forensic psychology fascinates and intrigues me.

4 places you have lived:
1. St. Simons Island, GA – I grew up in Brunswick, the main land for this island. Following my graduation from my Masters program, I returned to the island. It will always be my home, in some aspect.
2. Statesboro, GA – where some of the best days of my life were spent…college years, need I say more?
3. Water Valley, KY – a tiny, worthless town in rural western Kentucky that existed of one stop sign (no traffic lights) and one gas station. That literally was the essence of the town. There were no grocery stores, no stores of any sort, and nothing except for myself, my bastard ex-husband, and an ancient brick ranch house.
4. Atlanta, GA – my current home, which I absolutely love.

4 tv shows you love to watch:
1. American Idol – I refuse to offer an explanation…I just love it! Though I guess it does provide a deeper sense of satisfaction in that I can vicariously live out one of my childhood dreams (to be a singer).
2. ER – I actually only watch the reruns on DVD, and not on a frequent basis. However, I am fascinated with the world of medicine.
3. The O.C.
4. One Tree Hill
-The last two allude to my weakness for cheesy teenage drama. But like ER, I don’t actually watch them on TV…only on DVD on the rare occasions that I have time to watch anything.

4 places you have been on vacation:
1. Las Vegas, Nevada – love it, love it, love it! Cannot wait to go back and am actually planning a hopeful trip for the end of April.
2. Santa Fe, New Mexico – a city that reverently tells of history and art, beauty and religion.
3. Cape Cod, Massachusetts – an isolating escape for many writers, though I will have to take another trip there to allow myself the luxury of quiet solitude.
4. Austin, Texas – one of my favorite cities in the U.S. The atmosphere and ambiance of the city cannot be explained…it just felt “good”.

4 of your favorite foods:
1. green olives – absolutely succulent
2. lemon poppyseed muffins – I lived off of these in my Masters program and still to this day find in them not only exquisite taste, but a warming comfort as well.
3. rice – basic, yes…boring, absolutely not…you wouldn’t believe the things I mix with rice. It is a fabulous foundation for most any meal.
4. hummus – with veggies, chips, crackers, rice, etc….

4 places you would rather be right now:
1. perusing a used book store
2. on a warm tropical beach
3. exploring a new and foreign land/culture
4. playing in the snow (which would mean that I would have to be in a place that actually snows….suggestions anyone???)

Tag--You're it!!

Jeff
Sky
Tammy
Baba

8 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Blogger Jessie said...

Roof construction--yes, you rock! I built my own house and fell in love with construction! It's a man's world--but I truly enjoyed proving that misconception wrong!

Santa Fe--never been there, but want to!

Green olives and rice too--yum!

reruns on dvd and book stores--ah yes, the luxuries in life!

Thanks for playing the tag Tara--I enjoyed reading your answers. :)

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Wow, great stuff! I do feel I know you better :) (construction?) lol

I'll post tomorrow, I promise.

Hugs
Tammy

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger daringtowrite said...

Ah, such a satisfying post for this curious person. On another curious note, though, either the search on your blog is not working for me or that "curiosity and the cat" piece has gone missing. Any clues?

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger tara dawn said...

Wenda - I'm not sure about the search functioning. However, you can access it through my Dec 2005 archives. It was written on 12/14/05. Though now you've got me curious about the search function...lol.

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger georgiacoast said...

Gotcha...I will post it ASAP!

Liked yours by the way....Jeff.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger betty said...

HI; I found your journal through Tammy over at Daily Warrior. Beautiful writings! (I read some of your other entries). I used to live in Santa Fe, NM; beautiful scenery; interesting people.

I'll be back.

betty

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger V said...

Good stuff!
V

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger ami said...

WI has snow! ...But not enough to play in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home