life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Sunday Scribblings - When We Were Wee

I find it quite odd, but there are many parts of my childhood I don’t remember. Maybe the experiences are still living somewhere within my mind and I just allow my consciousness to be filled with other things. Or maybe I just don’t stop enough and think, stop enough to cherish the beautiful memories that I do have of the days when the whole world, and I, were much smaller and much simpler.

Memories of….
Daddy and I going fishing at the pond near the airport…the family biking down deserted roads lined with towering oak trees…climbing over the boulders at an uninhabited beach…neighborhood games of hide-and-go-seek…day trips to the public library with Mama…going to Gibson’s with Pop-Pop and picking out assorted candies to fill the little pink and white striped bags…summer vacations to Daytona Beach…dancing to Kylie Minogue’s “Locomotion” in the talent portion of a local pageant…Mama Lindy’s home-made bread, topped with butter and cinnamon…being dared to dip my toes in the marsh water off the dock (and thinking this was as daring as life got)…singing hymns at a funeral service we held for my aunt’s fish…stealing gumdrops off the gumdrop tree at Christmas…giving my Sissy nightly back rubs in order to be granted permission to snuggle with her in her big canopied bed…holding hands with my best friend as we crossed the street from his house to mine and then having my heart broken for the first time when his family moved to Boston…eating cookie dough for supper when my Mama was out of town…reading to my stuffed animals…knowing that life was okay as long as Mama and Daddy and Sissy were around…

Of it all, it’s the pictures that come to my mind most easily. Those moments that were captured in eternal memory by one snap of the camera. Pictures of two little girls in pigtails, hands crossed upon our laps, smiling at the camera, at our parents, and at the world. How simple life was in those moments…in the days when we were wee!

11 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Susannah Conway said...

I could taste the bread with butter and cinnamon, and the gumdrops! and feel the sunny days of memories past. thank you for sharing that, and thank you for the sweet comments you left on my blog yesterday. the feeling is mutual, and i'm excited to let the connections grow... Sx

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your use of imagery again is just captivating, taking the reader there. I love it!

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger eliza said...

lovely image collage. thank you!

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Jessie said...

You are lucky to have had such a wonderful Mama, Daddy, and Sissy. The details of your writing really pulled me in. btw, your sister was smart--bribing you with backrubs! :) Your relationship and the sense of security it brought to you sounds wonderful. I'm even a little bit jealous...but then, it got me thinking about more of the details in my own childhood...and it's weird how those memories keep building off of themselves. Thanks for opening me up in this way.
luv,
j.

ps.
hope you're getting settled in your new place. :)

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger HoBess said...

Your words paint such a picture, snapshots take sahpe in my imagination ... and love the poem in your previous post. Hope the move went smoothly and you are enjoying settling in!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Sky said...

hmmmmm....where is gibson's?

about the hymns: i remember finding sticks to wire together to make a cross, too!

let's see - i remember card games at grandmama's. i remember our eating cold pizza for breakfast at my house, many trips to Oxford Books, our buying my car in atlanta, your sitting high on a haystack waiting for me to arrive at grandmama's. i remember our trying to go to the drive-in in atlanta but the storm drowning out the audio, my grandmother's funeral and our long walk in the cemetery to see the many graves of people related to us whom we never knew. i remember long swings on the front porch at grandmama's when you showed me pics of school friends, your first serious boyfriend, the wild little girl next door who was cute but a pistol. i remember us shopping for the doll to replace the yoga mat i gave you one christmas which you said you didn't need! lol - and how aggravated your mom was about your disclosure!

and i remember when i first laid eyes on you and thought you were the most beautiful baby i had ever seen!

do you remember any of these?

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

I also have a hard time remembering as many things about my childhood as I feel I should be able to.

These are great vivid memories, I felt I could see the snapshots:)

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger meghan said...

you know what, I am the same way! I always wonder about people who have vivid memories - so many of mine aren't there or are things that may be stories I've heard. (but actually there are lots of memories here after all - and they all warmed me with their memory!) P.S. Have you moved in yet?!?!? are you in?!?!?

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

What beautiful memories. Your words made me feel like I was there! Good job!

Love,
Tammy

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger MissManda said...

your a wonderful writer. I enjoy reading your work.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

I loved being transported to that carefree time with you. You can just feel how much you were loved and how much you love your family. What a treasure. I'm so glad I could visit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home