life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

in the wake of suicide

It is impossible to work in the field of clinical psychology and not encounter suicide. Particularly in crisis work, treating suicidal patients is inevitable. And yet it leaves with you a feeling that never becomes familiar. A feeling of emptiness, a blank hole staring back at you from some unknown place.

In approximately 95% of attempted suicide cases, it is theoretically possible to successfully treat the patient and hopefully keep him/her alive. But there is that small minority, those patients that have become so utterly desperate and hopeless about life that they cannot be saved. They cannot be helped. Death is the only solution they can find, and the loved ones are left to mourn the loss of someone whose only peace could be found through taking his/her own life.

Death is terrifying and tragic in all its forms. But suicide is perhaps one of the most difficult forms of death with which to cope. The questions that can never be answered, the helplessness and guilt experienced by those still living on this earth. It is a brutal confrontation that is forced upon us, reminding us all of our human mortality and the devastation that death leaves in its wake.

I attended a memorial service this afternoon, a service to honor a woman who tragically ended her own life last week. I watched her children speak, listened to their voices raw with grief, holding back tears for the loss of the mama that brought them so many moments of love and happiness throughout her years. As the music played, I watched pictures of a vibrant young woman flash across the screen. Pictures that captured her own moments of happiness, a life filled with love and faith, and eventually a battle lost in the war of living. I searched her eyes, wondering about the fear and desperation and hopelessness that washed over her in the last days of her life. I hugged her son, in awe and admiration of the strength with which he continued to stand. Of the conviction with which he spoke of God's love and His plan for all of us. Of the dedication in his words, the courage in his determination, the purpose that he has been able to find in the midst of tragedy. And as I listened to the words and prayers and music, as I searched the eyes of this woman who continues to live only in hearts and pictures and Heaven, as I hugged this strong and courageous young man...I was reminded of mortality, of the brevity of our time here on earth, and of the purpose of my own life in working with patients that battle suicidal urges on a daily basis.

I cannot save every patient. Indeed, I cannot even help every patient. But this is my mission in life...that in working with these patients, that I may do my best to bring guidance and comfort and hope for a brighter tomorrow. And most importantly...to be with them, to sit with them, to hold their pain if only for a moment, and to accept that whether life or death eventually wins the battle, that they may know that they have not fought the battle alone.

As I continue to dedicate my life's work to those who battle suicide, may the grace of God and the hope to continue living find its way into their hearts. And in those times when the battle is lost, may comfort and peace be found for those who grieve and mourn.

Life is short and it offers no guarantees for ourselves or loved ones. May we live each day with an abundance of love and happiness and hope.

5 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed to hear this.

I am so sorry for your loss Tara.

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a scary place to be... for everyone. The therapists treating the patient, the family and friends who love the patient, and then the patient.... a person who is so scared to keep living that death is enticing. This has me thinking, but I don't have much more to say than that. Thanks for sharing this, td. Love you.

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as you know, i lost one of my mentors to suicide last year. it was -- is -- a heart-wrenching thing to experience -- whether it touches you professionally or personally (and let's be honest -- those overlap, anyway). i loved the part where you wrote that perhaps you coudl let them know through your actions that they are not alone, even if for a moment.
that is no small gift.~ruby

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Leah said...

as someone who once considered suicide and sought help, i can tell you that the work you do is so very important. i am so glad that the people who helped me were there, even the ones who i only met once or twice often had a great impact and here i am, years later, thriving and so grateful that i chose to ask for help and give life another chance.

there have been suicides in my family, one a cousin of mine only a month older than me and her death, continues to haunt us. it is a hard thing to live with.

i admire your strength! (((Hugs)))

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came within a hair's breath last year of losing a client and it was pretty terrifying to me. I blamed myself initially until my supervisor helped me process and come out the other end. You are so right. We can't save everyone. We can't save anyone. We can hopefully work closely enough with them that they start to want to save themselves, and I think most of the time we probably do that every well. Keep doing exactly what you are doing. I am quite sure you are wonderful at what you do.
Alexandra (MM)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home