life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

a morning in the mountains

I drove up into the mountains today. An interview for a practicum position beginning next Fall semester. Tiny house nestled among the mountains, foggy ridges of smoky blue rising on either side. Each room of the house filled with toys, the walls adorned in posters of bright colors, tiny children with tired mothers in the waiting room. A house of healers, all women, the friendliness of rural town-folk a welcome change from the chaos of the city. Life appeared to move slower there and my mind slowed with the movements of my body as I embraced the time of my morning, comfort and peace rolling over me with the damp fog dancing off the mountain’s edges.

I had intended to use the early afternoon for my Artist Date. My camera accompanied me but the fog did not lift, the rain as steady as the streams running alongside the base of the mountains. It is a place I hope to explore more in the future, with its famous apple orchards and hiking trails only miles from the house where I interviewed. Even the highways are small up there, fellow drivers happy to accompany the lost wanderings of a blonde “city girl”. And yet I know that my comfort and the peace I found this morning was simply because I am not, nor ever will be, a “city girl”.

The first question I was asked at my interview was “How was the drive up? We know it’s long and most people don’t realize how far we are from the city.” My response: “peaceful”, “beautiful”, “a welcome break of solitude”.

I will not know for several more days if this tiny house in the mountains, this house of women healers, will offer me a place to work among them. I do not know yet if those mountains will become my weekly solace, my haven, or simply remain as a dream of serenity for weekend escapes. As with so many things in life, I do not know what the future will bring for me. But I trust the future. I trust that God will lead me on the right path for my life. And I trust the beauty and mesmerism of those smoky blue mountains.

7 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, sounds lovely. I hope you get it.

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are so lucky...tell me where....northeast georgia? i lived in sylva, nc and asheville for several years and miss it so much. my heart remains in the blue ridge...xoxo

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Sky said...

sounds serene and refreshing. so glad you had this afternoon. i love mountain drives where curves in the road open to the thrill of natural beauty.

our cascades are now filled with the wildness of fast falling snow and the promise of avalanches while our garden hosts the green leaves of tulips and daffodils and blooming purple crocus. isn't nature magical?

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

This sounds heavenly! Good luck sweetie ;)

XXOO

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Patry Francis said...

You make my heart ache for mountains.
I can tell that if you're meant to be there, you WILL be.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Jessie said...

tara, that sounds truly beautiful! i can almost feel like i am there through your description. vinny and i have been trying to decide where we will go for a vacation this year. i really, really want to rent a cabin in the blue ridge/smokey mountains somewhere. i don't know where we'll end up going...but i like to daydream of you coming to find us and the two of us going for a nice long walk in the mountains or maybe sipping tea or wine on the porch. oh, it is beautiful there.

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tara Dawn,
I hope this job comes through for you. I'm brand new to "Finding Water" but I also recognized your name from another group I found a few weeks ago. (Sunday Scribblings.)

Lovely writing.Oh, I miss the mountains. It's been years (too many.) I'm happy you found comfort and peace there.Someday I dream of living in the mountains and near the ocean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home