life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Thursday, January 19, 2006

doors of protection

In the process of reading Dawna Markova's "I Will Not Die An Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion", I am continously confronted by words of inspiration. Words that beckon for my individual personal truths to be freed. Words that invite the self-exploration that I wrote of yesterday.

She writes, "...I come to four doors, closed at my heart...I believe most of us were taught to slam these shut, turn our backs, and lean up against them in fear. But I also believe that on the other side of these doors are passageways to our brightest fire, the choice to live fully awake and alive."

During the months of solitude she spent searching for the passion and purpose that had become lost to her over the years, Dawna Markova found herself face to face with these doors of protection. We all have such doors, barriers that encapsulate our hearts in a web of safety. And yet how are we ever able to fully live a passionate and purposeful life if we continue to turn our backs on these locked doors? Sometimes it may take a long while to find the keys, but when we do, may we all have the courage to unlock the doors and embrace the journey that awaits on the other side.

9 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger ami said...

You'll find the keys, and I know you'll have the courage to open the doors. :)

lots of love,
- amy

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Jessie said...

At the moment I'm reading The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I like the quote you shared because it relates to something I read this week and have been thinking about. Cameron writes:

"I like to think of the mind as a room. In that room, we keep all of our usual ideas about life, God, what's possible and what's not. The room has a door. That door is ever so slightly ajar, and outside we can see a great deal of dazzling light. Out there in the dazzling light are a lot of new ideas that we consider too far-out for us, and so we keep them out there. The ideas we are comfortable with are in the room with us. The other ideas are out, and we keep them out."

I agree with both Markova and Cameron--that it is all too easy to slam doors shut and to hide from what's on the other side.

Lately, I often find myself wanting to peek my head out and see what's out there. And yes, it's a little scary to think about what might change when and if I get a taste of that light and sense of being completely alive--but if we don't work up the courage starvation, I'm beginning to believe, is a very real possibility.

Please excuse the length of this comment, but the coincidence in what we're reading seems a bit uncanny. Thanks for sharing your find.

Here's to opening the door at least a little--at least enough, today, for a breath of fresh air.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

this is so good...this speaks right to heart of some thoughts i have been turning around in my brain and heart this week. thank you. i need to put this on my list of soon to be read library books...

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I knew you once upon a time...

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger TJ said...

I have heard this book was good, a friend read it and said it really changed how she seen things.
I'll put it on my list, you gave such a good intro.
Thanks.
PS> Tagged for FIVE GUILTY PLEASURES....if you like.
TJ

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post! Thank you so much. I love Dawna Markova, she is such a wise woman. Sometimes I think of the doors as gates of initiation. There are certain ones we all must go through at some point in our lives. It is a choice of whether to go through kicking and screaming or with a sense of calm and grace.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

You will open your door and meet whatever is on the other side head on. Use your courage as your shield and your writing as your sword.

In my thoughts,
Tammy

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Sky said...

In my life I have likened the doors to "presents" that I unwrap and give myself. Along with that comes a huge sense of excitement, just like when we look upon a gift wrapped in beautiful paper with luscious ribbons.

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger georgiacoast said...

When we open the doors to our heart, it allows us to live and to truly be able to give love to others. Great post Tara.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home