life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Sunday, January 22, 2006

living in safety

How many times in your life have you allowed fear to stop you from doing what you truly and deeply desire?
How many times have you censored yourself because of fear’s intrusive presence?
How many times have your love for others and your love for life been diminished because fear is guarding the door to your heart?

Perhaps you are thinking that these are rhetorical questions. But they are not. They are questions that I offer to each of you, to truly ponder within yourselves. I am not asking for your answers. These answers are not often easily discovered, and even less frequently are they easily shared. However, I believe these are important questions for each of us to ask ourselves in order that we may all live more passionate and less fearful lives.

Tonight I read another chapter in Dawna Markova’s phenomenal book. This chapter began with a description of her mother’s life. She depicted her mother as a caring and loving woman. Yet she also highlighted the pervading sense of fear with which her mother lived. Fear is not always expressed in the most obvious and overt ways. Much fear, like that experienced by Markova’s mother, is more a manifestation of the desperate need to feel safe in physical, financial, and emotional realms. We spend our lives relentlessly working so that we may rest assured that we will have financial security upon retirement. We alter the activities we allow ourselves to experience because of the inherent fears involved in taking risks. We guard our hearts and souls from negative emotions and pain, often living in states of denial, in order that we may feel safe from the feelings of discomfort. And yet what kind of lives are we actually living when we live in such a constant and pervasive sense of fear?

These questions are particularly difficult for me to answer personally. I am often the person who has been accused of jumping into things heart first without thought to the practical and logical consequences that likely will follow. I have been labeled the epitome of impulsivity at times, and yet I certainly feel that my life has been hampered by fear. There are many avenues I have not pursued because of fear’s powerful grasp. There are many dreams that I have diminished to mere fantasies because of fear’s overbearing presence. There are many aspects of myself that I hold inside because of fear’s threats should I release those aspects. So, now I am faced with asking myself the question: is this the life I want to live? And I know the answer…I do not want to live a life of fear. I do not want to live in safety.

12 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

These questions feel very wide for me. How many times...too many. If only we were truthful and admitted how we often live a life centered around fear. Thank you for this reminder to let it go. Let go. Let go of the fear.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Sky said...

Wow. A great post.

I always thought I lived on the side of safety, too. But, then I came to understand that sometimes - not all but sometimes - I was preparing for the future I would eventually climb into.

Now, if I could just get over the fear of being thin and sexy...

 
At 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. Strange because the words that have been echoing in my head the last few weeks have been, "Do not move the way fear wants you to." Thanks for the inisignts.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Dana said...

Now it's my turn..jsut what I needed to hear today.

I love you!

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Somnambulist Seeker said...

Excellent post.
After mulling this over for a really long time, the most philosophically fancy & accurate way I can think of commenting is:

"Fear sucks."

Thanks for the reminder.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Fear is something I have never escaped. I have stood up to it a few times, I've been in denial of it's presence and I have allowed it to hurt others. It is my greatest obstacle to a very blessed life. Thank you for reminding me to be more aware of what rules my world.

You are awesome! Jeff's blog is great!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Gillian Young said...

Great questions...I just recently realized that I'm afraid to completely listen to myself and to let myself grow in ways I need to. Just realizing it was scary. Now I need to jump.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger TJ said...

Oh...Fear of Weather! No doubt I am a fair weather person. I really have a problem with this kind of fear, it is crippling.Shameful when an adult can't move through a fear.
Great entry.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger georgiacoast said...

Even now I live with fear. It binds me everyday. I also wish that I could act on my impulses at their most basic level. To simply follow my heart and not my head. How great that would be....Now something for me to work towards.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger ami said...

This is something I've thought a lot about since the accident. I've never been a "daredevil" by any means, but I like to try new things - snowboarding, mountain biking, etc. I like to push the limits of what I can handle. Now that I no longer live in ignorance of of the "worst-case scenario", and now that I understand what pain is, I worry that I'll be too scared to take any risks anymore. I hope this isn't the case, because I've always found that facing my fears is so exhilarating.

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger daringtowrite said...

I appreciate how you almost always leave me with something interesting to think about, something I can open to and learn from.

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger daringtowrite said...

I would have just said 'always', but 'always' and 'never' seem a bit glib when I hear myself say them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home