life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Monday, June 19, 2006

inspired by Sunday Scribblings...

I’ve never been the biggest fan of Sundays. When I was a child and teenager, Sundays meant waking up early, sitting through a sermon that I would often tune out, and then the dreaded anticipation of another Monday. Since I’ve lived on my own, Sundays have most often entailed a long days worth of work, constantly running on my feet, serving people that often see me as nothing more than a servant. Sunday work has been equated with being a servant with no real identity. Ironic, I suppose. A servant on Sunday…maybe that was God’s intention all along. In any case, regardless of dreaded early mornings or bewildering sermons or long work shifts, Sunday have always been the precursor for Mondays. And as we all know, Mondays start the work week (at least for most people, though I’m not really included in that group). Mondays are the beginning of another long week, more long hours of work or school or both. And so there is it…I’ve never been a big fan of Sundays….until recently.

When my dear friend Megg and Laini started Sunday Scribblings, I was thrilled at the prospect of being given a prompt each week. A phrase or question that would allow my inner creative juices to flow, my imagination to run wild, the essence of my soul to emerge in words upon a blank screen. And Sunday Scribblings has indeed allowed me such freedom. It has brought me to tears, shaken my insides, left me confused and frustrated and also beautifully inspired. Thank you Megg and Laini…you have given so many of us a gift. Now, instead of dreading Sundays, I look forward with excitement, wondering and waiting for the topic to arrive. Wondering what feelings will be evoked, what stories will spring forth from the recesses of my mind, my heart, my spirit…and those of others. I wait to read the words that evoke such strong emotions, making me want to reach across oceans and mountains, plains and deserts. Words that make me want to bathe these souls in love, in comfort, in admiration, in pride.

As a result of the inspiration and beauty that Sunday Scribblings has brought into my life, I would like to begin an additional arena of writing prompts. One of my best friends and I used to work on our writing skills and creativity by giving each other a single word and then allowing the other to write for a set amount of time. It was poetry that we were writing in those days (and nights), but I would love to use such prompts for any form of writing. And I would also love to take the time limits out of the equation…just one word and writing of whatever is evoked by that word.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely minimal knowledge when it comes to the technical aspects of linking to other blogs, etc. And so I am sending this out into the world, hoping that one of you may want to join me on this quest to begin… “One Word Wednesdays”.
If you are interested in helping with this new site for writing prompts, please send me an email.

I hope you all have had a wonderful Monday!

10 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger Cynthia said...

I'm looking forward to One Word Wednesdays, and I'm going to have to check out Sunday Scribblings. My blog jogging isn't what it used to be, and I haven't been there yet.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Dana said...

I love this idea. I was just thinking about getting someone to create a list of words for me so that I could do a word association.

Let me know what you need.

xoxo

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Star said...

You may want to check out Diana over at Diaphanous. She shares prompts of this type on her site The Almost-Daily Writing Prompt and you can also sign up to have them e-mailed to you.

So much can be done with just one word.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger BendingPeak said...

Sounds like a glorious idea. I would love to be involved in this new adventure.

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like fun!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Kim G. said...

I don't have the know-how to set up the links and such but would love to participate. Please keep us updated!

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger GoGo said...

I wpuld love one word Wednesdays, though may not participate every week when the one word for me is SCHOOL.

I would also put out there the word "release" since its been echoing in my head for the last month.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

now this is fun my dear! love it!
can't wait to see what you come up with...so many words to choose from...so many.
keep me posted (and let me know if you need anything!)

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this idea! And I want to be a part of it...because I am finding that I write better when I have a prompt to focus me.

And yes, I adore Sunday Scribblings!

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Alex S said...

Tara,
I'm just catching up on your site as of late. I think this is a simply wonderful idea. Do please let me know more as you get it off the ground.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home