life as i know it

"...everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt." -Sylvia Plath

Thursday, July 13, 2006

wondering and lost

Some days it seems that we spend our whole lives wondering. Wondering which path to take, which decisions to make, which direction to pursue on our journey through this life. We get so caught up in “right” versus “wrong”, “good” versus “bad” that we end up catapulting ourselves into cyclical tunnels of worried indecision. We let fear hold us back, keep us walking the solid path of familiarity and safety. But all along our walk, we wonder. We wonder what would happen if we chose the thin, tight rope to walk upon instead. We wonder what destinations we might reach should we choose to leap rather than to walk in safety. Walking in safety is a guarantee, or so we believe. We believe it will guarantee us the future we have planned for ourselves, that it will keep us secure and solidly grounded in a world where chaos and the unknown threaten us from each corner of darkness. But walking in safety only truly guarantees one thing…it guarantees that we may never know what could have been. It guarantees that we will one day look back in regret, not at the things we have done, but at all the many things we did not have the courage to choose to do.

Some days it seems like we spend our whole lives lost. Lost among the obstacles that rise up between the steady steps we take. Lost amidst the jigsaw puzzle pieces, constantly searching for the place, the other pieces, into which we fit. We put one foot in front of the other, pretending we know which way to go, trying to hide the tremble in our steps from the world before us. We relentlessly search the map for directions, only to find that there is no legend to help guide our search, no signs to steer us, no highways that lead directly to our sought-after destinations. And then we realize that maybe we are not so sure of even those destinations. We know that we must keep walking, step after step. But we have no idea where it is our path will lead us, or what the journey might offer upon the way.

Some days it feels like we have been wondering forever, that we will continue to wonder for each day that we have left upon this earth. Some days it feels like we are lost beyond the map, beyond translation, beyond hope of ever finding our way home. And many days we find ourselves, lost and wondering…which way is home?

8 Comments:

At 3:49 AM, Blogger meghan said...

hello there my friend! It's funny, I wrote today about not being able to make the decisions to change. Then I came here and read your post. I felt connected to your questions and comforted by them and that you are asking them - love to you my friend! Keep writing your beautiful words and questions!!

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger Susannah Conway said...

as i read the last line i realised i have been lost, and i found my way home - home is inside of us. for so so long i was wandering in the world, not knowing myself, clinging on to any safe port i found, but then everything left me and i was forced to find my way home.... this is a wonderful post - so thought provoking. you truly are a wise soul, my love xx

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger BendingPeak said...

This is exactly where I am at right now...wandering. I am trying to think about my upcomming move as a step closer to being found, but I still have a hard time with that. You have reminded me today that I am not alone in the world and that there are plenty of people out there just trying to make a path. Thanks.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Jessie said...

Someday, when you have time, I'd love to hear about the details that prompted this post. What's happening in your life these days? It seems that you are in the midsts of transition.

Dang tara dawn...I am so glad I found you (I know I've said that before, but I had to say it again!). Your life so often reflects what is happening in my own.

lots of love to you. You are a wise, wise woman. You are going to write a book some day. I can feel it.
:)

love,
j.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I agree with Susannah, home is inside. You are a special wise soul who will find all the answers you need.

Much love

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually wondered the same thing that jessie did (what prompted this post...). this is a great post and really resonates with me lately as well...i'm still trying to figure out my own concept of home...love to you..

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger V said...

Beautifully stated!
V

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Your words always seem to flow so gracefully.

Wandering and wondering a lot myself lately.

Walking in safety rarely has ended up making me happiest..it is the thin tight rope as you call it that seems to garner the most joyous rewards.

I am here along with many others, to stand below and cheer you on, if you decide to take the thiun tight rope.

Lots of love to you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home